Friday

Yoga Teacher Training - Week Two

"Palms to Heart"...

 

"The sun shines down, and its image reflects in a thousand different pots filled with water. The reflections are many, but they are each reflecting the same sun. Similarly, when we come to know who we truly are, we will see ourselves in all people." ~ Ammachi




Second week we spent hours learning how to do Surya Namaskar A and B, beautiful poses that some would call ‘basic Yoga poses’ but, not to be misguided – very difficult ones to do. We had to learn proper alignments and with that – breathing. When body and breath becomes one – I felt I was able to relax. 


For Hindus the sun, which they call Surya, is both the physical and spiritual heart of our world and the creator of all life itself.

They honor the sun through the dynamic asana sequence Surya Namaskar (better known as Sun Salutation). The Sanskrit word namaskar stems from namas, which means “to bow to” or “to adore.”

Each Sun Salutation begins and ends with the joined-hands touched to the heart. This placement is no accident; only the heart can know the truth.


There are 8-12 basic postures that transition and are deeply connected with either an inhalation or an exhalation and awareness turned always inward toward the heart. Each movement should be as mindful and precise as possible.


Chaturanga Dandasana






Chaturanga Dandasana is a part of Sun Salutation sequences and, may I say – the most difficult one. It is a strong posture and our teacher Kathryn tried to explain that pose from different angles and one was – head stand, something I thought, I would never even try to do, less to succeed – but I did it! I actually did it! (May I say that I had a few ‘happy tears’ rolling down my cheeks!)








Head stand




We learnt about Bandha’s (Yoga’s interior locks) and Drishtis (focused glaze) and how to use ‘third eye’ and ‘tip of the nose’ gaze, both great to strengthen the eye muscles.


Our Hatha teacher Patricia, strong woman in delicate body, explained the importance of maintaining and strengthening arches of the feet, flexibility of plantar fascia for alignment and movement of joints and spine.

Will I ever remember all that information??


Our class finished with an hour and half of Vinyasa practice with Fionna, who with her great guidance became my new role model!


Needless to say - I was in pain on Monday! My whole body was one big – ache... And – I know – I was not the only one whose body felt like one big bruise. However – I was happy.



"Remember the emphasis on the heart. The mind lives in doubt and the heart lives in trust. When you trust, suddenly you become centered." ~ Osho

No comments:

Post a Comment